Tips and Tricks for Your Commercial Tile
When it comes to flooring, commercial tiles are one of the longest lasting if cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. In fact, they can remain absolutely stunning for numerous years if well cared for. Plus they add a nice aesthetic appeal to any office when they are in excellent shape.
In addition, tile floors are easy to maintain. Compared to carpet, spills do not permeate under the tile, causing mold and other damage. But no matter what flooring you have, if it is used continuously it quickly becomes worn and dirty. Without proper care, the lifespan of tile is greatly shortened and you could have irreparable damage. However, there are a few tips and tricks on maintenance that will help your commercial tile cleaning much easier and beneficial.
Routine Commercial Tile Cleaning
There are basic maintenance procedures that should be done regularly in order to keep your tile looking new and in good shape. Here are a few low-maintenance tips that will add years to your tile:
- Always wipe up spills immediately to avoid possible stains and damage to the grout.
- Sweep your tile at least once a week. Remove all dirt and grime that is clearly visible.
- Damp-mop your flooring about once a week to reduce wear and abrasion from soil and grit.
- Place rubber tips on all furniture that comes in contact with the flooring to prevent scratches.
- If using a cleaner to mop your tiles, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Abrasive cleaners can damage the tile and break down sealants. To be on the safe side, test an inconspicuous part of the tile with your cleaner. You can also dilute the solution with warm water. Mild cleaners such as dish detergent are not recommended for a mopping solution, they typically develop a dull film.
Tile and Grout Cleaning
In order to remove any surface build-up, tile and grout cleaning needs to be done regularly. Routine grout cleaning can be done with a commercial cleaner. Just make sure that you use the proper cleaner for your tile.
In addition, sometimes heavy cleaning is needed in order to remove soap build-up, grease, mildew stains and other substances that can damage the grout and tile. For heavy cleaning, use professional strength tile and grout cleaner.
Sealing the Grout
Grout should always be sealed after the initial installation of your tile. The importance of grout sealing is crucial. It can help:
- Prevent permanent stains
- Impede mold and mildew growth
- Stop grout erosion due to moisture
Additionally, it is recommended that you have your commercial tile cleaned professionally when there is obvious heavy dirt and grime built-up. A professional cleaning will restore the luster of the tile. After the tile is deep cleaned, another application of grout sealant is needed. Also, grout can become permanently stained and discolored. If this happens, you’ll need to have the grout recolored as well as resealed.
Polishing and Buffing
Over time, commercial tile can lose its shine and luster. However, polishing tile renews its beautiful aesthetics. However, all tiles are different and there are various techniques of tile polishing. Make sure to use the correct polishing method for the specific type of tile.
Buffing your tile floors will add new life, making it look smooth and uniform. In fact, buffing can eliminate scratches, stains and grime build-up. However, not all tiles are created equal. Make sure to consult a professional prior to buffing your tiles.